February, 2015

Pictures from February, 2015

We went to Great Lakes, Illinois in February to attend
Eli's graduation from Naval Basic Training.
He invited his mom, her father & I (each recruit
may invite three attendees), and we were honored to be there.

On de plane, de plane
Ben, Alissa and
Lt. Colonel (ret)

Confluence of big rivers, the Midwest
Platte & Missouri
rivers unite...

Is 'The Avengers' out yet?
Alissa outside
the movie theater

Oldest thing here...
Building 1,
built in 1911

This is the commons
Buildings of
the Commons

We had avoided the metro area of Chicago by flying in to
Milwaukee, Wisconsin instead. The drive to Great Lakes was equidistant anyhow.

I guess I just like red brick buildings!
February's chill
at Great Lakes

Beneath the big bell tower...
Foreshortened view
of Building 1

In the summertime,a parade ground?
The Commons at
N. S. Great Lakes

Sunset was coming
Building 1 from
the hotel lot

View from the hotel room on base
Lake Michigan
undulates serenely

We busied ourselves for a day until the graduation
ceremony on the 6th of February. We didn't see Eli until the big day.
The rest of our family watched the live webcast from the DOD website.

Grandstand selfie!
Attendees from
Wyoming Selfie

A new window will open
Photo page
of Graduation

Incidental boarder on the upper left...
Out for a
brief Liberty

Sailor in his pea coat
Eli Boykin,
US Navy sailor

In our room at the Gateway Inn
I would say
he is delighted

After Boot Camp graduation, Eli rode off base with us
for a few hours of liberty. He was slated to leave for his next assignment
that very night, so we did our best to stuff him with as much food as he could
stomach. We enjoyed his company, as brief as our time was with him.

Obligatory Dress Blues photo
E-3 resplendent
in Dress Blues

Slu-u-u-urp!
No such thing as
bad Navy coffee

Thread upon thread...
Let the storytelling
begin in earnest

Always good to hear the voice
Eli & Alissa
chat it up

Obligatory Goodbye Group Portraits
Goodbye group
photo time

The time came to take Eli back to the base... the hands
of the clock seemed to run faster and faster. We posed for photographs in the
hotel room, then dropped him off in the dark, cold night where hundreds of other
sailors were saying goodbye to their families. The next morning, Merril, Alissa and I
drove North to Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee for our flights back to the high plains.

Peas in a pod, these two...
Grampa & Eli,
Great Lakes, Illiniois

Leaving Milwaukee...
Leaving Wisconsin,
on a jet plane

Childhood Glee!
Bentley at play
at home out back

Hi, Mom! Hey there, Dad!
Starting the day
in his NWU's

A few weeks after we returned home, Eli was at his new post,
from which he sent us a selfie, of himself in his Navy Working Uniform.

Happy is the man...

Please credit the authors!

Contact Me

Images 2015 EBBoykinJr & Alissa